Sunday, July 20, 2014

Is the Black Church Misleading Black Women and Keeping them Single?


Is the Black Church Misleading Black Women and Keeping them Single? Some Christians and other observers to the high singleness rate women in the Black Church claim this is the case. Checkout the video above by Ms. April Mason to see her take on the issue. It is worth checking out.   

I'm feel sad the need to stick to Biblical literalism and Christian Fundamentalism too often is making the Black Church less relevant and effective in addressing the needs of Black women in regards to being married. It is reported 70% of the women in the Black Church are single.

This is such a provocative and complex topic I wish I had time to begin to go in on it. I could opine a week on this and just scratch the surface.

But to cut to the chase, I feel the present Church leadership especially Black Church leaders are creating a condition where large numbers of Black women will be single and or divorced. I hear Christian divorce is one of the highest in the country at like 65%.


Many single Black women in the Church tell me they are focusing on their children and don't have time to explore a relationship with man. Many go decades without dating focusing on their children until they're grown.

But is this wise or prudent?  And shouldn't Black ministers be warning against this type of behavior. Or should they just counsel them to wait?


I've heard a Jewish marriage counselor state that making children the primary focus of our lives creates self centered children. I concur with that outlook because children need to see us taking time to care for ourselves and our relationships.


I constantly here Christian women say their role is to "wait on the Lord" to send them a man. But they wouldn't just "wait on the Lord" for a job right?

Black Christian women prepare themselves for a good job by working hard and getting an education. Why do they metaphorically always say "wait on the Lord" to send them a man.


I'm not a marriage counselor but I think it is fair to say seeing countless women in churches for decades without husbands or dates isn't ideal even for our children to see. I mean when I go to the laundry my daughter even tries to hook me up with dates for Pete's Sake. LOL! SMH!

She wants to see her dad dating and happy. Yep, Ms. Missy makes friends with gregarious women in the laundry and asks me "dad why don't you get her number?" Awkward. LOL!

My Daughter Tries to Hook Me Up with Women LOL!

So it is important for our children to see us living a balanced life in relationships with others. Especially if we expect them to have a balanced and fulfilling life.

However, many Black Churches emphatically expect their members to attend Church a few times a week.  But is it wise to center your life around church attendance in this way if you have children or want to be in a loving relationship? 


It would be hard to be in a relationship, marriage, or just keep up on your child's homework up to date going to church a few times a week. I think a lot of this crosses issues like the Church's interests, idealized expectations, disingenuous hermeneutics, biology, psychology, etc. But I've read a lot of Black women recently who are saying similar things: http://survivingdating.com


For instance many Church women point out Biblical stories about men searching for a wives and take this as a divine eternal truth - that women wait for men to find them.  However, in Biblical times they had arranged marriages for the most part and that was the social traditions of the time.  Does that mean we take examples of social or cultural traditions in Biblical times and make them divine paradigms or Biblical doctrines on marriage or other issues?

Would it be wrong for a woman to see a nice guy and say hello and introduce themselves because it is at odds with Biblical stories where men usually searched for wives?  Maybe the guy wouldn't see a woman unless she made herself known.

I for one know there are plenty of nice, intelligent, and loving women in Black Churches and would love to see them married more and dating. I'd like to see more Spiritual sistas happy.

So these are questions that I think Church congregants need to start asking themselves. With almost 70% of Black women in the Church single and 65% divorced it is time to start to ask hard questions and to look for new answers like Deborrah Cooper and Dr. Boyce Watkins are doing in the video below. It is worth checking it out. 




About the Publisher of Kamau's Qu!ps

Kamau's Qu!ps is Published by Kamau Austin. Kamau is a popular Blogger, Writer, and Internet Marketing Professional helping small businesses grow more profitable businesses online. If you need web design, blogging, search engine or social media promotion contact him at Search Engine Plan




Kamau's Qu!ps reaches over 30,000 web users a month through it's Blog and Social Media Promotions. For Advertising Opportunities visit Search Engine Plan.com

2 comments:

  1. Don't know if the black church or any church is to blame for black females being single. And I don't think that there's anything wrong with going on a cruse with your girlfriends. I don't think that makes you any less available to men. I do think that when you spend too much time in any one place(whether it's church or work)it can make you a little less available. And there are times when people (man or woman) just needs to be single. It's not everyone's goal to be with someone.
    Yes I think it would be nice if more churches set up singles events and open up better opportunities for singles to meet. Why not that church? It's a perfect place for people to meet. I even know someone who holds a bible study for singles who want a mate. She's even written a book about it. And yes I also think the church needs to be a little more open about dating. But I don't necessarily believe that a church or anyone can take your desire to be married away from you. If that's in your heart then the right person will see that. And not to mention you don't want to just marry someone because you're lonely or desperate. You want THE one. And sometimes that takes time to find. And that has nothing to do with the church.
    I think it's just a matter of being open to opportunities. Some people are so closed minded about a potential mate. No one is perfect. The older we get the more mistakes we make. And be ready for what marriage really means. Some of us are so quick to want marriage that we forget that it isn't' some fairytale. It's dedication and a lifelong decision. I guess I'm saying that a church can't keep you single unless you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shimon I think the "Wait on a Man" adage in the Church is over done. In the Black Church women out number men 2 to 1. I can't tell women what to do but if I were a woman given the odds I'd be doing things to increase my odds. And waiting for Prince charming to show up in Church won't be my strategy. LOL!

    ReplyDelete