Sunday, April 13, 2014

Make it Your Mission to Get an Education for Your Children

My Daughter Ameni doing her homework
Recently some people in social media have been complaining about the failure of the Atlanta school system. There also are a lot of parents upset  about a controversial article in the New York Times, that claimed active and involved Black parents did not have a positive affect on their children's academic endeavors. In fact the article I hear suggested they could actually hurt their children.

Some are looking to castigate and remove the head of the Atlanta school system.  Here's my thinking on the matter. I feel schools systems, administrators, and especially teachers want our children to learn but many may be overwhelmed.  Some may be overworked with large classrooms and some are underpaid. 

I don't know much about Atlanta's School System but I do feel it is a essentially a parent's responsibility to make sure their child gets an education and can compete academicallyIf you see your child is failing or falling behind it's time to get the books out and go to work.


Our children have to compete with very driven children from Eastern Europe, Japan, China, India, Vietnam, and soon Africa. I realize we all pay a lot of money in taxes in part for public education. Therefore, we want educators held responsible.

Nevertheless, in my opinion we can't totally leave the success of our children up to the school system - any school system!  We have to supplement their education and make sure they can read on grade level and get training in the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEMs) areas of study.

I can't stress this enough.  I've had to do this before and it was very challenging but it can be done.

They told me my child had all these learning deficiencies but with hard work and drills in math, spelling, and reading she made high honor roll placements.  I have a good friend who worked with his son to supplement his education and then got him placed in a top Northeast Private School on a full scholarship.

To be candid when I was in College I had a very high GPA, worked full time, and did a graduate school seminar program on the weekends for 2 years and was  given the Outstanding Student award by professors on graduation - all during the same time period. So I realize I value knowledge and can be very academically driven .So when educators said very bleak things about my daughter, who is on the autism spectrum,  and her ability to learn, speak, compute math and her questionable IQ I got busy.

I didn't listen to that crap and worked with her every day with math drills, reading, spelling, home work, and did reading challenges. I used some of the techniques I developed when I went to school and other disciplines.

Even when I was diagnosed with cancer and receiving treatments I still studied with her. There were days I thought I'd faint I was so weak. But we'd still do our studies together.

Then the miraculous happened.  My daughter started getting over 100 on every spelling test, then she started doing so well in math and science they started referring to her like she was a math and science machine, she at one point could converse in 4 languages including Mandarin Chinese, and started making the Principal's High Honors list.
She began to tell her teachers she no longer wanted an aide to help her with her school work "she'd do it by herself."


I noticed the education these children receive in these schools today is much more advanced than when I went to school. My daughter was getting pre-Algerbra and programming skills in Kindergarten and 1st grade. We didn't get these types of subjects until 7th or 8th grade.

I didn't feel like going back to school all over again to learn this stuff to help her.  But I made the sacrifice to help help her academically. If you can't read and your child can't read I believe it is time to break the circle. Go learn to read to help your child.

If you can't read well enough to help them - see if social services has people who can step in to help you. Perhaps moving to a better school district is another option you can consider. I would never expect a school system to do the whole job of educating a child by itself.



As a parent I feel that the reality of the situation is we have to take responsibility to educate our children. I mean we have the police and military to protect us too but you better believe you have to be your own line of defense, just in case you are attacked right?

I feel a similar way about education. Yes educators are paid to teach our children but we can't leave it all up to them.


If people are going to rely on educators to do the job by themselves we're in for a rude awakening. Educators can only do so much. What the Educators do in class has to be reinforced at home.

By the way I read that home schooled children in Black communities are out performing the children going to public schools.

The reason may be because in classrooms there could be 12 to 30 other children. So your child may fall through the cracks. Ultimately It is the parents job to make sure your child gets an adequate education to be able to be independent.  This is survival!

A parent should be able to supplement the child's education, and keep on top of the school system in reference to your child's progress. If your child is grades behind in reading and math it is time to get on the school's admins butt and also help put in the work yourself (or get a tutor) to help turn things around.

You don't wanna see your child fall grades behind and then blame the school system in my opinion. You would be the one to blame for not getting help or seeing what the problem is especially by going to parents teacher's night and stay on top of things!


You have to believe and work for the best academic performance for your children. My ex told me "I was too hard on her" but she did achieve outstanding results in school especially given her challenges.  It wasn't easy but it was doable. I'm not trying to brag but to encourage others.

In short I believe: when we expect more from our children they will achieve more.
If our children are failing it is time to get to work!

The schools can only do so much.  And plus you know your child better than anyone else.

We have to be proactive agents, inspirational sojourners, and ultimately advocates for a quality education for our children. Maybe I'm naive but I believe: nothing is as powerful on our children's desire to learn than a parent who shows by their actions they value education.


About the Publisher of Kamau's Qu!ps

Kamau's Qu!ps is Published by Kamau Austin. Kamau is a popular Blogger, Writer, and Internet Marketing Professional helping small businesses grow more profitable businesses online. If you need web design, blogging, search engine or social media promotion contact him at Search Engine Plan




Kamau's Qu!ps reaches over 30,000 web users a month through it's Blog and Social Media Promotions. For Advertising Opportunities visit Search Engine Plan.com



No comments:

Post a Comment